Monday

I will say Merry Christmas, too


I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office when a man came out, followed by the nurse. He turned to go and said, "Merry Christmas!" and then he said, "Some folks don't like that any more, but I will say Merry Christmas until I die."

I turned to look at the elderly man and he had a smile on his face. Time had worn deep crevices in his face and turned his hair white. He walked with a limp and his hands were misshapen, perhaps from work, but surely from arthritis, too.

I'm sure there were many things he could have complained about, but he was having none of that. He was determined to say "Merry Christmas" again and again.

And I will say "Merry Christmas," too.

Entering into the season, some of us have little money, some are without jobs altogether. Some of us have serious health problems or family problems. Some of us are stressed and pinched into a grinch-like stance.

All of us can say "Merry Christmas."

Will it offend someone? Maybe. Maybe what someone else does offends us. That's life. No one has the right to not be offended.

Merry Christmas. I'm going to make the most of it this year because who knows what next year will hold?


6 comments:

  1. God Bless you. Merry Christmas to you too! Life is what it is! Christ is who he IS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! And God bless you, too, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Pat! (And here's my two cents, for what it's worth: if someone were to tell me "Happy Hannukah" or "Happy Kwaanza," even though I don't celebrate those holidays, I would accept it with the spirit intended--spreading joy. Joy is nothing to be offended at!) But like you, I say, "Merry Christmas" without apology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Stacie. I have no problem with other holidays and even feel honored when someone wishes me well in connection with them.

    ReplyDelete