Tuesday

Canning and Putting By

I'm slowly gathering enough tomatoes to make sauce, the yellow crookneck squash is outdoing itself and the sunflowers are crazy with blooms this year. Autumn is definitely coming on.

As each year rolls through its phases, promises of renewal hang in the air. Autumn, rather than being the end of something, seems to be the beginning, all over again.

I love to see the pantry shelves filled with gleaming jars of green beans and tomatoes and other good food waiting for winter. It's a throwback to when our ancestors had to put up enough food to last through the winter because if they didn't, they would starve to death before spring.

We don't have to worry so much about that any more (maybe? See Food Prices), but still, putting up pickles and beets and corn and squash gives one a feeling of satisfaction and security.

If you don't can, freeze or dehydrate summer vegetables, you don't know what you're missing! It's not all about the goodness of the food or saving money on it, although those are very valid reasons. A big part of it is the satisfaction of a job well done and looking forward to a less hectic, more secure winter.

4 comments:

  1. I've put up umpteen gallons of tomato sauce! (Well, not really, but it certainly feels that way...) Every time I put up a new batch, I tell myself I'll never plant so many tomatoes next year or ever again. But then, when I cook with it and taste the wonderful homemade goodness, I realize it was worth the effort.
    People ran from me when they saw me carrying yet another zucchini! But then I realized that I actually enjoy frezing shredded zucchini, so that solved the problem of too many to give away.
    I like to share my harvest with neighbors. I gave a neighbor an eggplant, and he in turn gave me five of the most humungous sweet potatoes I've ever seen. Not a bad swap, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes were slow getting started here, so as we anticipated homegrown tomatoes, our appetite for them grew and grew... LOL I try to have enough sauce to share, so it takes a lot.

    I worked up peaches from my daughter's tree and plums from my own tree last weekend. Sometimes it seems like a never ending chore, but I love to look at it all done, not to mention eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love putting up food for the winter. We froze tomatoes and corn. Canned green beans and peppers. I notice you wrote an article on plantain. I have also made a salve from plantain, it is good for all sorts of stuff - including wrinkles! You can go here on my blog and check it out. http://janetsmart.blogspot.com/search/label/plantain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plantain salve is awesome stuff, Janet! I enjoy your blog - as a matter of fact, I was just there yesterday (I think).

    ReplyDelete