Friday

A Welfare Nation?

One in three Americans are on welfare. One in three. Our economy is in a mess, but that's not an excuse.

I guess I'm old fashioned. We were taught to work for what we needed and to work harder, think more and become more creative if the work we were doing didn't supply our needs.

We were taught that being on welfare was shameful and if it was occasionally needed, we were expected to get off of it as soon as possible.

We were taught that TV, fun and games and new shoes were not a necessity and charity certainly shouldn't be expected to provide them for us.

I know. There are those who really need it. I have to say that every time I approach this subject, because there's always someone who gets huffy about it. If you NEED it, get it. If you don't NEED it, get off it.

Take care of yourself and then you can make your own decisions.

Don't have money for food? Learn to get it in other ways. Grow a garden, learn to forage, trade for something you can do, take a dollar bill and see how much you can get at a discount or dollar store. Make do.

An old adage that would do us well today: Make it, make do, or do without. Try it.

4 comments:

  1. Welfare case workers in our area actually tell women to have more babies so their benefits don't expire. I think that should be illegal! There are third-generation welfare recipients in our town, it's just a way of life (career choice?) for them. What's really irritating to me is that many of those families are actually more "well to do" than some families who are not on welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should be illegal, too. It's so disheartening to work hard and do what we can, and then have our taxes support professional bums. I know of a few who live better than some families who choose to be responsible for themselves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just typed in my search engine "country living in the city" to try & find more ways to live like I'm in the country when I clearly am not. I clicked on your website first and it brought me to this blog post. I just had to comment on how true this is. I was also taught that you had to wrok for the things that you needed and the things that you wanted. Once when my Dad lost his job we were on food stamps for a few months! A FEW months! As a pre-teen I was so incredibly embarrassed to be in the check out line with my Dad buying groceries & him have to give the cashier the dreaded 'food stamps' to pay for the food items. He hated it even more than us kids. To him it felt like he had in some way failed his family. Thankfully we were only on them for a short while. My Dad worked feverishly to find a new job & remove himself from the gov't assistance program! How different it is today! Today I'm a grown woman with 3 children - 2 of which are adults. Today I go to the grocery store & stand in line behind entire families there to happily swipe their gov't assistance cards & let someone else pay for their food. At my local grocery store there was a man who came in & was trying to buy DOG FOOD with his gov't assistance card (I'm not sure what they call them in our state.) DOG FOOD! The cashier kept trying to politely explain to him that he could not buy food for his pet with the card. The man was extremely upset & proceeded to make a scene and tell the entire line that his dog had to eat to! He left the store very upset. So I guess now those of us who work hard not only have to support those who don't but we should also be expected to pay for their pets to eat as well. So sad what our nation has become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's sad what our nation has become. There seems to be no shame about anything any more.

    I always thought, too, that if you couldn't afford to feed and care for a pet, you shouldn't have one.

    I appreciate the comments so much. I had no idea what kind of responses to expect when I wrote this post, but I had to do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete