Tuesday

I wanted to make tortilla chips...

This is something like when you tell someone how to knit wool socks, you start by telling them how to shear a sheep.

Since most corn grown in the United States is genetically modified, I started looking for a recipe to make corn tortilla chips with, if not organic, then at least non GMO corn. That's how I ran across this post: Homemade Corn Tortillas - Part One: How to Soak Corn for Masa

It's not about where to buy masa harina or how to use it, but how to make masa (dough) straight from the dry corn. Seems like first, you get some corn...

But I don't have any corn, and buying whole grain, dried, organic corn is expensive! I happened to think that I had recently come across an envelope of dent corn that I'd picked up at the edge of a farmer's field where we lived over eleven years ago. That is, we lived there over eleven years ago. I don't know how long ago I picked it up.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I put four kernels of this dent corn in a little water to see if it would grow. In about twenty four hours, it was swollen and heavy. I put a few more kernels in there and tomorrow I am going to plant them alongside some squash that hasn't come up yet and may not.

So... I hope that one of these days I'll have some home grown corn tortilla chips. (Now... if I could just grow some cheese to go with that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment