Friday

How to Make it Work

People who pull together survive. Those who are in it for themselves, don't. That's the way it's always been. Helping each other out, trading work for work or food for food, people know instinctively how to "make it work." Bad economy? Getting better? Getting worse? Who knows. The only thing we have to measure it with is our personal experience and that of those around us. We don't have the numbers or the reports, but that's okay. They don't make any difference anyway. They don't change anything. When most people still lived on farms or at least in the country, work trade offs were common. Neighbors helped each other because that's the way it was. It's sad to say "that's the way it was." Oh, I'm sure it's still like that in some places. Some communities, whether in the country or city, still share and help each other. I'm not saying it never happens. I'm just saying that it may not happen often enough for survival if things get really tough. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of the the early church. The Bible said the church members "had all things in common." They shared what they had! It seems to me it was less democratic and more communal.

    But my neighbors are very generous with each other, and I know how blessed I am because of it. My neighbor across the street brings us leftovers each Wednesday night, and we housesit for each other. Another neighbor of mine throws doggie biscuits over the fence for my dog. Our boys pet her dog through the fence. One time she accidentally left her sprinkler running, so another neighbor went into her yard to turn it off. My neighbor on the other side of us actually spent a hot afternoon helping us mend our fence. Those same neighbors mow a common strip of lawn we share, even though most of it is legally ours. They just want it all to look nice. We've gone halfsies on tree trimming work. When one of our neighbors had a house fire and couldn't take their pets to the hotel, we took care of them. One time they left their back door open, and we made sure it got closed securely. One time our neighbor across the street was out of town when a windstorm blew a tree onto his shed. My husband made sure to contact our neighbor, and his son came over to help get it fixed. When his wife was suffering from Alzheimers and got lost in the neighborhood, we went walking up and down the streets until we found her. A couple of times she would come into our house like she was lived here, so we'd sit and chat until her husband would frantically come looking for her.

    Yep, I know I've got a special neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blessed, Stacie. Keep that community spirit alive. Too many people don't even know their neighbors' names.

    ReplyDelete