Sunday

You Can't Eat Gold

I've been out and around on the internet, looking over the financial situation as well as the political situation worldwide. The thing that strikes me harder than anything is that people are hoarding, but many of them are hoarding the wrong thing.

What good will it do to have a stash of gold bars if you can't get a loaf of bread? A few seeds can be the difference between life and death in a future scene. What is it about gold?

I've never coveted gold or silver or even a lot of money. I've only wanted an abundance of the things that life should be giving all of us: Good food, clean water, fresh air. Trees, grass, birds. A measure of peaceful solitude, which is as necessary to the human soul as water is to the human body.

Gold? I don't want it. I'll take my little garden and the robins that have returned. I'll take the bright colors of an early morning and the green of the grass, even if it has to grow through the sidewalk crack.

You can have you gold. You can't wear it. It won't soothe your tired eyes. You can't drink it. You can't eat it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Pat - that says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pat, for putting it so eloquently. I will agree with you that I have peace of mind when I have a full pantry and freezer. My family might not have a lot of money or "stuff" right now, and my kids are wearing hand-me-downs from other families, but we are eating very well. We are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, sometimes I have to read the responses to know what I have really said. Thank you both for your comments. Peace of mind is worth all the gold there is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat, I'm glad you found my blog. I've always said money won't do you any good if you don't use it. I love having a bounty of vegetables from my garden and a freezer full. The way our weather has been, it won't be long before we'll have to start mowing our grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet! Our weather has been very warm for so early, too, and I'm enjoying it... but did you have to say mowing the grass?? LOL

    ReplyDelete