Sunday

I love it when the weather cools down. I always want to make bread... so I did. :) Beans. Stew. Soup. All those good things go through my mind (and my kitchen) as soon as the weather turns from hot to cool. This year, it turned overnight. One day the air conditioner was running and the next morning I was shivering and wondering about turning on the heater. No, I didn't.


I don't want to turn it on until it's necessary, but I have used the little electric heater a couple of times.

The garden is still trying, but after such a late start due to the weather, we're not getting a great abundance. I'm grateful for what is coming in, though and have done some canning and freezing.

The peppers, tomatoes and squash are just now starting to produce heavily enough to make it seem worthwhile. Every night the temperature has been dipping into the 40s and it's nerve wracking. There was a frost about an hour away from here and there is snow in the mountains already. What kind of winter are we heading for?

A wood burning stove sure would make me feel more secure! Maybe that's just me and maybe it's just the time of year. I always want to gather in all the harvest, stack the firewood and make sure everything is ready for cold weather.

Regardless of what we do to prepare or whether we prepare at all, winter is on its way. After a sweltering summer, I'm ready, garden or not.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy looking rolls! It's getting cooler here, too. It's wonderful to NOT break a sweat whenever I step outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They were made from sourdough and I'm not even sure how I did it. ;)

    I know that in a few months, I'll be moaning for a day that I don't have to dress like an Eskimo to go outside, but for now I'm happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is definitely a chill to the air that warns of winter to come. I hate winter!

    Found your blog link via your myLot profile..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I'm glad you found my blog... but you hate winter?? Oh, no... LOL We all have our problems, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete