Wednesday

Homemade sandwich bread??

I've made bread for years and years, but I've yet to find a recipe or a method that guarantees a soft enough crumb for sandwiches. Too often the bread is dry or it falls apart when you try to bite into a sandwich made from it... so I went looking on the internet to see if I could discover the secret.

Well, I didn't. Not yet, anyway. What I did discover is that no one mixes bread by hand any more. Not even to stir sugar and salt and yeast into some milk or water. What's so hard about that? Mixers, for heaven's sake! If it's electric, plug it in. After all, we don't want to use a muscle or two when our money can pay for the electricity to do it for us. As far as kneading bread goes, not too many even know how any more.

Okay, end of rant. But I still need a good homemade sandwich bread recipe or method or something. I make sandwiches from my homemade bread but I'm ready for something better. Does anyone know what it takes to make a soft, slice-able bread that won't fall apart in a sandwich?

5 comments:

  1. Suszanne McMinn at Chickensintheroad.com has a wonderful recipe for her grandmother bread. now, I have never made, but will someday! I do know that she makes a lot of sandwiches with it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find potato bread to be great, soft sandwich bread. I usually add a peeled leftover baked potato to my two loaf recipe. I have to be careful to mash it thoroughly so I don't get chunks - not good! Apparently yeast goes crazy for the starch in potatoes, but I learned to make it that way because I'm from potato country in Idaho and we add potatoes to everything as cheap filler.

    Also, milk instead of water makes softer bread. I hope this helps if you decide to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I was interested in your post and looked through one or two of my bread books to see if the problem of crumbly bread was addressed - you won't be surprised to learn that it wasn't!
    I have a couple of suggestions, although I may be telling you things you already know - you did not give your recipe so I am not sure what you are using.
    I always add about 2% fat or oil of some kind as I think this helps the bread to keep longer. (2% of the weight of the flour.) I also find that using using equal quantities of water and milk (or yoghurt) can give a softer, richer crumb. The only other think I can think of is perhaps not proving the dough for quite so long.
    Like you, I have been baking my own bread for years and am now doing a regular bake of sourdough bread.
    Please excuse some of us who use a machine for kneading their dough - I would love to do all the kneading by hand but my arthritis prevents me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/detail.aspx

    This is the recipe I use, but I decrease the sugar (or substitute honey) to 1/3 cup. If I use 100% white wheat flour, I increase the kneading time to 12-15 minutes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! Now I have lots of ideas to try.
    Joan, I looked at Chickensintheroad but couldn't find it. I'll go back when I have more time.
    Jayne, potatoes sound like a great idea! I'm thinking leftover mashed potatoes would work, too.
    marancat, I've always used 2 tablespoons of fat for each loaf. I don't know what the percentage is, but I'll increase it and see what happens. I usually use whole milk already. I understand those who can't knead bread by hand. My rant was against the lazies. :)
    And Stacie, I think I tried that recipe and like you, I cut the sugar down. I don't like sweet bread unless it's dessert. I'm not sure it was the same recipe... I've tried so many!

    I appreciate all the helpful comments. I think I'll make bread today. :)

    ReplyDelete