Friday

As the season turns...


I grew sunflowers this year. Big, beautiful heads of sunflowers, some larger than others, all bright and cheerful - at least until the squirrels found them! I managed to save a few by sprinkling them liberally with red pepper, but the squirrels still got the best of the harvest.

The stalks stood, still green and tall, but headless, which was a rather strange site in my front yard raised bed, so we cut them down and cut them into lengths to be bagged for the trash man. What a waste!

Sunflower stalks can be dried and used as a supplement to burning wood. They burn faster than wood so they're good to revive a dying fire, or to start one with. If I had a woodstove, the trashman wouldn't get these, that's for sure.

The horseradish spilled out of its container this year. I'll have to be very careful digging up all the roots that escaped. The neighbors might not appreciate it in their yard.

And then there are the dandelions. There is a corner that's never mowed, where the dandelions and lambsquarter are free to grow. Each year I dig dandelion roots and roast them for dandelion coffee over the winter.

I wish for cattails in this kind of weather. Different times of the year, I wish for yucca. Guess I just can't have it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment