Sunday

My Kind of Recipes

I have a collection of really neat recipes on the computer that I've gathered from here and there. Now, when I say "really neat" I don't mean "really neat" as in French cuisine that I can't pronounce OR spell or a fifteen ingredient Italian sauce. Not that I don't like those things, but I'm happy to let others make them for me.

No. My really neat recipes are very basic. They're fun, although sometimes difficult and often the taste isn't what I expect. Here are a couple of favorites so you'll see what I mean:

Rice Milk
4 cups water
1/2 cup raw rice
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cook all together until rice is very soft. Cool then blend and let stand for 45 minutes, strain and refrigerate.

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup powdered milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
3 TBS butter

Add sugar to milk and mix, then pour boiling water into it. Mid and add butter. Use immediately or reheat to mix butter back in.

Kool Aid Sherbet
1 cup sugar
1 package unsweetened Kool Aid or other drink mix
3 cups milk

Mix all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a shallow container, cover and freeze for about an hour, until it begins to freeze around the edges and bottom. Beat until smooth, then return to freezer until frozen through. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.

These I haven't tried yet. If you try them, let me know what you think:

Margarine

1/2 C dry milk
1 1/2 C vegetable oil of your choice
2/3 C water
a pinch or two of turmeric (for color)

Add water to the milk and put into your blender or food processor. Slowly add the oil while blending, until the mixture becomes thick like margarine. If it doesn't thicken enough to suit you, add a little dry milk at a time while blending until it does. Taste before adding salt, if wanted.


Bologna

3 pounds ground meat
3 TBS Morton Tender Quick
1 cup water
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke

Run the meat through a grinder or process in food processor until fine. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Divide in two rolls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerator 24 hours. Bake at 300 degrees for an hour in a greased pan, turning once about half way through.

I have one for salami, too, that I'm looking forward to trying, but I'm having trouble locating Morton Tender Quick locally.

Anyway... those are my kind of recipes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment