Wednesday

Finally, a harvest...

I picked the first two tomatoes! Yes, they're late, very late. So are the cucumbers and the corn and the squash. I'm hoping we can get a decent harvest before the first frost!

All the beets have been pulled and the lentils are drying in the garage. I am going to can lambsquarters and beet greens today. The harvest really is getting underway after all this time.

This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love to see the pantry shelves slowly fill with jars of colorful food and to be out in the sunshine picking corn and cucumbers and tomatoes.

When I had a family to feed, I used to bring in baskets full of produce each day this time of the year. Not so any more, but the produce I bring in is enough for me and certainly enough work for me.

I guess life evens out, doesn't it? I mean, I wouldn't have the stamina to put up enough food for a family any more so it's a good thing I don't have to!


No comments:

Post a Comment